and time to move on..
06.04.2010 - 12.04.2010 11 °C
This is going to be a really quickly written blog as I am low on Internet funds, but anyhow.
Arrived into Auckland at 7am on my birthday Tuesday 6th April, only to be told we could not check in to the hostel until 1pm. Nevertheless I met a nice dutch guy (called tim) and we went for some early morning "drinks" around Auckland. Having checked in the first few days, it was all a bit of a blur, bit of drinking, exploring the harbour area of this historic city and also going around the many different areas of the main street (Queen Street) seeing what was on offer.
In my room also in the hostel were Solveig &Camille from Norway. Lovely girls and they had given me a good insight into what life is like in Norway. I may have to visit one day.
I feel like im waffling here, but here is what I have done in a nutshell in the first week.
- been to the harbour area several times to catch the sun and soak up the Auckland atmosphere
- Been shopping several times on Queen Street
- Done a full tour around Auckland, the 4th biggest city in the world per hecter did you know!
- Met people from Paraquay, Argentina, USA, UK, Germany, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark, Saudi Arabia & Luxembourg so far!
- Looked for jobs in and around Auckland, but failed miserably
- Decided after going to look a bungee jumping off the Auckland Harbour Bridge, that I might just try it!
- Been up the Sky Tower (the tallest building in the whole of the southern hemsiphere)
- Done much walking around the city
- Eat things that would never eat back home (Mexican & and dare I say this thai food too)
- Spent quite a lot of money, Auckland is not a cheap place to visit
- Got annoyed at people travelling as a couple! why do people do this??? they tend to stick together and are bloody hard work to talk too when they have their bloody lips round eachother!
Anyway the plan from tomorrow (Tuesday morning) is to get the Kiwi bus tour and go north to a place called Painia in the North of the Island, then head back to Auckland and then travel southwards! its going to be an interesting 5-6 weeks, so bare with me as from now on internet access is going to be VERY limited!